October 15, 2010

Friday Five



1.) Right above, you'll find a picture of me hangin' out with George, Tom, Teddy, and Abe. I sure do get around the block! 

Justin and I decided to stop by Mount Rushmore while we drove through South Dakota, and I thought it would be mega funny if I struck a "High School Portrait" pose at the site. You know the kind: cheesy smile, hand on hip, face resting against my fist. All I needed was one of those "Class of 2000" styrofoam cut-outs and it would've been perfect. Ah, gotta love those silly poses!

2.) In the past two months, I have spent over 20 days with my mother-in-law...and we both survived unscathed. Huzzah! 

3.) Autumn is in full swing here in Maryland, which means that every coffee shop has added some kind of pumpkin-based drink or baked good to their menu. This is, in one word, AMAZING. Pumpkin muffins! Pumpkin scones! Pumpkin spice latte! I've already gained three pounds stuffing all of this goodness down my face.

4.) It has been three weeks now that I have been on sub. (Not that I'm counting the days or anything...) I believe I am slowly losing my mind and may need to enter a sanatorium at some point in the near future. I'd appreciate visitors so please come see me in the loony bin!

5.) To keep myself from going too crazy, I had dinner last night with fellow DGLM clients Jessica Spotswood and Robin Reed. I love them! They don't look at me funny when I drone on about YA literature or the submission process--in fact, they actually like talking about such things! I wish I had met them three years ago when I was first drafting my novel. I was such a hermit back then...why? WHY?! Writer friends are a good thing!

Anyway, my weekend looks pretty low-key. Justin and I are going to do some pumpkin-carving and we might catch a movie. The Social Network, maybe? What are you guys up to? Any good movie recs?

8 comments:

  1. Glad you survived the trip and family! :)

    Gabe and I actually got to go out last night! First time since June was born. We went and saw It's Kind of a Funny Story. It's not really a comedy, but I thought it was funny and we both really liked it. Two thumbs up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Never Let Me Go is very well acted and beautifully shot but not exactly a fun movie! But it will give you an excuse to buy Pumpkin muffins as you'll need cheering up :)

    So is being on sub worse than an agent having your full manscript? Trying to publish a book seems to involve a lot of hitting refresh on our email :)

    Excellent photo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First: I am not sure my MIL and I would both survive. She's nice, but very fidgety.

    Second: so much fun last night! We should definitely make it a monthly gig.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love pumpkin treats followed by a little chocolate. Sam is now saying to me...can I have some candy Mom, I ate all my food? I say no and he says ok well can I have one cause I've been a good boy. Too smart I tell you. Love the Mt. Rushmore pic. Mother-in-laws really aren't so bad. Congrats on 20 days though. I'm not sure how I'd with my own mother for that period of time. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pumpkin lattes in the morning, brisk walk in the park in the afternoon and chasing the children virtually every moment. That's what I'm up to:) Just remember, every day that you aren't rejected is a day closer to an offer!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I recommend "The Social Network." I saw it yesterday and walked out in awe about how something that has become such a part of people's lives started in a kid's Harvard dorm room. Plus the fact that I'm the same age as Mark Zuckerberg and my bank account looks nothing like his is depressing! Well acted and very interesting to people of the social networking generation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lex, thanks for the movie rec! I might have to convince Justin to watch this film!

    Alexa, I'd love to check out Never Let Me Go! I read the book awhile back and I'm curious about the movie adaptation.

    Jessica, yes please! I'd love to do dinner with you guys every month. I always have a blast!

    Adrienne, awww Sam sounds adorable! I'm sure he's grown so much since your wedding. How is he liking being an older brother?

    Lindsay, mmm pumpkin spiced lattes are the absolute best! I totally wish I lived closer to you so we could go on walks and sip on these delicious drinks. :o)

    Kelly, thanks for the movie rec too! My sister keeps bugging me to see The Social Network so I think I HAVE to see it at this point. Haha. And yes, Mark Zuckerberg's bank account probably laughs at my own account...

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Social Network was fantastic.
    Hard to believe it's a David Fincher movie!

    ReplyDelete