September 14, 2010

Nightmares in Revisionland

The good news... I finished tackling the big-picture edits for my novel!

The bad news... Line edits!

Eeeeek!

So last Monday, I printed out my behemoth of a book (a whopping 159 pages!) to begin the long process of line-editing. Here is my novel in all of its printed glory:


As you might have noticed, I printed the book in single-space. This is for two reasons: 1.) to save paper (go trees!) and 2.) I HATE double-spacing. Throughout high school and college, I always wrote and edited my papers in single-space because I found it much easier to read. The only downside? I have to write my comments in a tiny, barely legible scrawl. And sometimes I can't decipher my own handwriting. Ah well!

It took me a few days, but I read through the manuscript and attacked its pages with my trusty blue pen. Poor little book! After awhile, it looked like a giant ink monster had bled all over it.

And now for the hard part... Once I finished marking up my manuscript, I had to transfer all of the changes onto the computer. Nooooooo! I hate this part the most--even more than I hate double-spacing! It's torturous. It's tedious. It's so boring. No wonder my face started to look like this:

But I made it through somehow. Because now my edits are all done! Phew! I sent off the manuscript to Jim yesterday afternoon and now I feel free, free, free!

As I await Jim's verdict, I plan on catching up on my beta-reading and trying to choose what project to tackle next. YA dystopian? MG mystery? YA contemporary that I'm afraid to write because I don't write contemporary?

Or maybe I'll just take a nap...

Hells yeah. :o)

10 comments:

  1. Yay for having your revisions done! Now we can both wait anxiously. Time for lunch!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ello, let's definitely have lunch soon! We must celebrate our completed manuscripts with Georgetown Cupcakes!!!

    Marieke, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yahoo for finished revisions! I think I'm opposite you- I like line edits better than the big-picture edits. I think it has something to do with all the work involved. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY! I vote for nap, fyi.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the revision, and task of writing a book! Holy crap!

    And, I was reading about your health insurance saga...even me being on my employers insurance which is BC/BS my maternity coverage is a joke. I talked to a doc the other day about prices for vaginal delivery and it's less than my yearly deductible. Of course if anything bad ever happened insurance would kick in but in the meantime, I may as well be uninsured...in other words, I feel your pain. Good luck in your search.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! I just sent my new ms off to Awesome Agent Jim today! I am so taking a nap when I get home from work.

    This weekend, though: celebrating. Hope you are too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stephanie, thanks! You know, I don't mind the line-editing too much but it's the transferring to my computer that KILLS me. I think I'd rather eat a rattlesanke. Haha.

    Lindsay, I took an EPIC nap today... :o)

    The Clark Family, thank you for sharing your experience! Despite my frustrations with healthcare, it's nice to know I'm not alone. Ugh, this whole insurance thing is so irritating though!

    Jess, yay! I hope it won't be too long until we hear back from Jim! I'm biting my nails anxiously...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay, Caroline! I'll bet it feels good to have your book out of your hands for a while. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay! Such a great feeling to finish. And great picture. The face says it all. :)

    Speaking of a nap . . .

    ReplyDelete