September 16, 2010

Casting "The Hunger Games"

I'll admit it, I'm pretty nervous about who's going to get cast in the upcoming Hunger Games movie. After all, I adore this trilogy—Suzanne Collins' is a bloody genius!—and I'd hate to see the film ruined by bad casting. *cough...Miley Cyrus...cough*

Recently, EW.com conducted an online poll to see how fans would cast the movie if they had the chance. Much to my surprise, I think the fans have done a great job! (Note: this isn't the real casting—the poll was just for fun.)


KATNISS


Can I just say, "Um, yesssss!" I think actress Kaya Scodelario definitely looks a helluva lot like Katniss. The dark hair and eyes. The pale skin. The pretty face that can be dirtied up for the arena. Looks-wise, she's almost perfect for the role. (Although she might be a little too pretty.)

I also like how Scodelario is a relative unknown in the States. She has gained fame for a British TV series called "Skins," but she's not a household name by far. That's a definite pro in my book because I don't want someone super famous playing Katniss. *cough...Miley Cyrus...cough*

PEETA


Hmm, this is the only casting call that I was hesitant about. Actor Hunter Parrish (Weeds) might be too much of a pretty boy. I mean, he looks like he's posing for a J.Crew catalogue in this picture! When I envision Peeta in my mind, I see him as cute and sweet but not really a dreamboat sort of guy. What do you guys think?


GALE


Ohhhh, I like! I think Gaspard Ulliel (Hannibal Rising) would make an arresting Gale. He even looks a bit like Kaya Scodelario, which is a good thing because Katniss mentions in the Hunger Games that some people mistake her and Gale as relatives. (Yeah, I can't believe I remembered that....)


HAYMITCH


Ah, Hugh Laurie is a PERFECT actor to play Haymitch! That scruff. Those penetrating eyes. Put a bottle of whiskey in his hands and hire him right now!


(Alternately, a lot of fans chose Robert Downey Jr. for this role. I think Downey would be a great Haymitch too. Decisions, decisions!)

So...what do you guys think? Do you think this poll was dead-on or dead wrong? Can't wait to read your responses! Because, let's face it, I'm obsessed with these books!

7 comments:

  1. Ohhhhhhhmygod. I'd heard about people suggesting RDJ for Haymitch, but Hugh Laurie never crossed my mind--and it's PERFECT. Wow. Squee!

    I absolutely love this suggestion for Katniss--I've never seen Skins so I can't talk about her acting, but the look is dead on.

    Peeta, though... that's just not Peeta in my head. I sometimes have a tendency to imagine characters vastly different to what everyone else thinks, and occasionally even defy the authors' descriptions themselves, so it might just be me. But I imagine Peeta as much more plain--which is why his rhetoric is so scintillating. He's not much to look at but when he speaks the whole world stops to listen. And I like that.

    Gale--yes yes.

    And Miley Cyrus? BITE YOUR TONGUE.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes to haymitch and katniss from me.

    i think the gale choice is fine too - but he looks so sulky in that particular picture!

    and, not sure about peeta.

    i had a similar expecrience of nervousness when my fave book of all time just hit the Australian cinemas. and mostly it all worked out okay - even though i pictured the charcters differently in my head they did a fab job on the screen.

    i'm nervous for the hunger games too.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh I hadn't heard about this casting poll. SO INTERESTING.

    I agree, Katniss shouldn't be any big star. It would be too unbelievable. I kinda like all of these choices--even Peeta. But thats cuz i was Team Gale. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hugh Lsurie is PERFECT!!!

    Yes please!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hugh Laurie MUST play Haymitch, I'll have to start a campaign.

    She definitely looks like Katniss and I've heard Skins is amazing, so she should be able to act :)

    I've kind of been picturing Peeta as Finn from Glee. Not sure about Gale. But yes as long as there is no Milly Cyrus, we should be ok.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE all the picks except for Peeta, but not cause he's too good looking (didn't she say in the first one that he was a big, strong, good looking guy?) I'm not sure who I'd pick instead, but that's just not how I pictured him. Really embarrassing story, but Ryan said that I started calling out Peeta's name in my sleep once. I tried to cover--I was hungry for pita chips?--but he still makes fun of me for it.

    When do we get to talk Mockingjay?? I'm dying to hear your thoughts. I have much to say :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG Gale and Haymitch are absolutely PERFECT. I don't know about Katniss, the actress looks a little young for how I've always imagined Katniss. As for Peeta...meh, I can kind of see it but I agree, I've never really seen him as that much of a pretty-boy.

    If Miley Cyrus gets cast, I'll cry. She's just...*shudders*

    ReplyDelete