October 16, 2007

Oh, London...


Today I was flipping through the channels when I stopped upon a documentary about "The Secrets Behind the Da Vinci Code." The first portion of the show discussed the role of Mary Magdalene (was she a prostitute or Jesus' wife?). In between clips of distinguished academics furrowing their brows and chipping in their two cents, there was a rapid succession of various paintings of Mary Magdalene---including one portrait of her I saw in person at the National Gallery in London.

*Huge sigh*

I miss London. I miss those busy days back in the fall of 2003 when I whooshed around the city viewing marvelous works of art and nibbled on delicious Pink Lady apples purchased from Portobello Road. I miss the H&M by Oxford Circus, which offered the coolest and most affordable clothes (why don't American H&M's have the same clothes???). Oh, how I miss that wonderful city.

Justin and I should be taking a trip up to DC next week and I definitely plan on dragging him to the National Gallery of Art. Right now they have a J.W.A. Turner exhibition on display, which I am dying to check out. I had never even heard of Turner until I went to London (SHAME) and he just happens to be, like, the most famous British painter. The entire Tate Britain seems to be decked out in Turner paintings. I also can't wait to see the Edward Hopper exhibition that is up too.

Ah, art! How I love it. It gives me a little taste of London when I need it the most.

4 comments:

  1. Oh Turner! I won't even lie to you-- I think Turner is soooooo boring. But, then again I've never been one for landscapes.

    I miss London so much too! The thing I miss most is just getting to walk around the city and feeling alive, like it's part of you? I don't know if that makes sense, but that's how it always made me feel, especially by Trafalgar Square. Oh and St. James park! HEAVEN.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know what's funny? I'm not a huge fan of Turner either! I just want to see the exhibition because I miss London... (Although I did appreciate his later, more abstract, works.)

    When I worked at the MUAH in Salt Lake, I'd walk around the city sometimes during my lunch hour trying to recapture the feeling I felt whenever I wandered around London. But it never worked. It never worked in DC either. Maybe there is just some magical quality about London? Or maybe it has something to do with study abroads?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, London indeed! sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too bad we're missing each other by one week! I'm going home this weekend.

    ReplyDelete