October 9, 2013

Standing for Something

{Making new friends while waiting in line! Photo courtesy of Katrina B. Anderson.}








Ahoy there!

I finally turned in my newly revised manuscript to Editor Jody on Monday, and now I'm updating ye olde blog, which has sat here patiently while I tackle my revisions and eat copious amounts of dark chocolate almonds. My patient little blog!

Anyway!

This past weekend was a bit of a whirlwind but it was an inspiring and wonderful whirlwind. I flew out to Salt Lake City on Friday evening and then flew back to DC on Sunday morning, but it was all worth it because I got to spend time with my good friend Jami and to participate in the Ordain Women action, a movement that encourages the ordination of Mormon women. I don't really talk about religion or feminism on my blog—I know they can be contentious issues and there are plenty of websites that tackle these subjects much better than I ever could—but this action meant a lot to me, especially because I usually keep my feminist and religious thoughts to myself. So it was a big step for me to put my beliefs into action!

The event itself was covered by a lot of media outlets, like the New York Times, the Huffington Post, and USA Today. My friend Jami, who I met as a wee college freshman many moons ago, also gave an awesome interview for a local news channel, which you can find here. I wish I could be so articulate and well-spoken off the cuff! As for me, I pretty much ran away from any media persons looking to interview people. I am HORRIBLE at public speaking and even HORRIBLER at interviews. So I just hide from that stuff.

All in all, it was an edifying weekend in spite of any negative comments we received. Also, I got to eat really awesome Vietnamese food. A win/win, I say!

{Singing hymns together. Photo courtesy of Katrina B. Anderson.}
{There was a lot of press at the action! Photo courtesy of Katrina B. Anderson.}

{Chatting with my good friend Jami (r) and Mormon scholar Margaret Toscano (c). Photo courtesy of Katrina B. Anderson.}
{Walking to the Mormon Tabernacle building. Photo courtesy of Katrina B. Anderson.}




4 comments:

  1. Lovely pics! And whatever building you all are singing hymns in front of is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the comment, Leandra! The building we're standing in front of is the old Mormon Tabernacle, which was built by the pioneers in the 19th century. My friend Jami, who I stayed with in SLC, has ancestors who helped build it!

      Delete
  2. I love this. Inspiring and brave. I'm not Mormon, but I hope in the very near future we can see more of women being treated equally in all faiths. Also, in the first picture, is that Genavee?? I totally used to read her blog.

    Congrats on turning in the revisions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that is totally Genavee! OMG, how do you guys know each other? I just met Genavee while we were waiting in line. So crazy!

      Delete