August 21, 2012

A Writer's Retreat with Me, Myself, and I

Justin and I are spending a few days in the quaint town of Orange, Virginia. 

He is taking a class for work.
I am reading, writing, and--most importantly--eating lots of food. 

Food in belly = Happy me! 

Since Justin will be gone most of the day, I'm dubbing this mini-vacation a writing retreat! With one participant! Me! 

Let's see how many words I can write in the next three days, hmm? Have I mentioned that I'm a terribly slow first drafter? 

{The Mayhurst Inn}
We're staying at a historic B&B that dates back to 1859! General Robert E. Lee once visited this house and General "Stonewall" Jackson once stayed the night too. I'm a huge, huge history nerd so this kind of information makes my brain very excited...even though I'm a Yankee girl through and through.

{B&B decor with a splash of YA}
My reading list for my little retreat includes: 

That last book is a Civil War history that spans over a 800 pages. Yowza, it is a monster read! But it's incredibly researched and impeccably written. Still, my eyeballs are going a little cross-eyed. :)

 Obviously, no writer's retreat is complete without food and actual writing! This morning, I loaded up on a yummy egg-filled breakfast and then opened up Word to my WIP. It is a YA novel and it is set in space.

Breakfast + Spaceship-filled books = Happy Caroline!

Tell me are you doing? What are you up to? And what are you reading?


  1. My best friend grew up in the next town over (Madison), so I've driven by this B&B countless times! It's so, so gorgeous! That whole area is the setting for at least one of the stories in my head (if not more!!). I hope you & Justin have a relaxing, productive retreat.

    1. No freaking way! What a small world!

      You are so so right--this B&B is lovely! I'm hoping to do some sightseeing tomorrow so I can take in more of the pretty countryside!

      And what are these stories that you are setting in rural VA? When can I read them?! :)

  2. Have a great time at the B&B, it looks so cute! I can't get over how fast you read! Just one of those books would take me the entire visit. I hope the location is inspiring and you get lots of good stuff written!

    1. I wish you and Geoff were here, CJ! I think you guys would love this B&B!

      It was so good seeing you guys last weekend! Man, why must we live so far away from each other?!

  3. What a beautiful B&B! I'd be geeking out with you too. I'm glad to have found a fellow history nerd. My friend thought I was joking when I said I wanted Ron Chernow's biography of Washington for Christmas. I was like: DO YOU NOT KNOW ME???

    Happy writing!

    1. Ohhh, you're a history nerd too?! YAY!

      As much as Justin likes history, he's not into the going-to-historic-houses-and-museums sort of guy. Which is frustrating because why wouldn't you want to visit James Madison's home or an awesome art show? Haha.

      Man, I need to take a trip out to LA so we can chat about history and books! Or maybe you should come to DC and we'll just spend all day at the Smithsonian? :)

    2. OMG, I would love to spend ALL THE TIME at the Smithsonian! I've been to the Natural History Museum but not the US one! My family was like, "Whatevs," but I was like, "WHY do you not see the TRAGEDY of this situation?!"

      I just like history and random old things okay?

  4. Sounds SO fun! I hope you get a lot done and enjoy yourself too. :)

  5. Oooh that breakfast! Enjoy you're retreat for one I hope you get loads done.