June 25, 2012

Weekend Wrap-Up

One of the reasons why I love Washington, D.C.?

The diversity of the area.

If I drive 40 minutes southeast from my house, I end up in the heart of the city, with concrete beneath my feet and with taxis zooming around me. 

But if I drive 40 minutes northwest, I edge into an America of yesteryear. Open views, sprawling farms, and nifty vintage pickup trucks. Also, cows. Lots of cows. 

On Saturday, my little sister and I headed to Dickerson, Maryland---a forty-five minute drive---for the sole purpose of...buying peaches. Yes! We love peaches! And the peaches have ripened early this summer. This is Very Exciting News in our fruit-loving family. 

We are Very Exciting People. Don't be jealous. :)

{What am I doing in this picture? I have no idea.}
{Farmstand tomatoes}

ALAS, I do not have any pictures of the peaches. Why? Because peaches are very camera-shy! They're self-conscious little fruit! (Or maybe I forgot to take the pics... Fail.) 

In other weekend news, I baked two loaves of banana bread. Rather, I made banana cake. 'Cause I don't think my banana bread can technically qualify as bread. It's sugary, butter-filled, and crammed with lots of chocolate chips. In other words, it's a very healthy snack! I promise! (All lies.) 

{Proper dieting food}

And in other, other news, I am very lucky to have very nice friends who loan me very awesome ARCs! My TBR currently includes these titles:

{Crewel, Origin, and Falling Kingdoms}
Eep! I'm reading CREWEL right now and I'm really enjoying the world-building thus far---it's unlike anything I've encountered in young adult fiction. I'm also excited to dig into ORIGIN and FALLING KINGDOMS, especially the latter because it has been compared to Game of Thrones. I just finished A Storm of Swords, the third book in the George R.R. Martin series, and it was utterly fantastic.

A big thank you to Jessica Spotswood and Jessica Sheehan for kindly loaning me these ARCs!

How are you doing? How was your weekend? 

16 comments:

  1. I should never read your posts when I'm hungry! :) I love peaches and banana bread (which I try not to have in the house, it's too good). Have fun with your books, Caroline!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like we could be food soul mates! Why don't you live closer to DC?! Or why don't I live closer to you?! We could eat food and chat about books and it would be awesome. :)

      Delete
  2. I love peaches! Lovely photos. That banana cake looks delicious.

    Enjoy CREWEL! I read it last week and really enjoyed it. I agree with you on the word-building. It was very unique!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh, you've already read CREWEL! I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed it. I'm about 1/3 of the way through and I wish I had more time on my hands so I can finish it. Alas!

      I'm so envious that you got to go to BEA! That's definitely on my writer's bucket list. I'd love to run around grabbing ARCs!

      Delete
  3. I WANT YOUR LIFE. Especially after seeing that banana cake. It IS proper dieting food, after all. Yesterday, I baked a lemon cake and was all nomnomnomnom. There must be a baking virus going around, huh??? *best virus ever*

    Enjoy your awesome ARCs!! Counting down the days for all three of 'em. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ZOMG, you made lemon cake?! That sounds so incredibly yummy! Can we trade? :)

      Delete
  4. That sounds like the PERFECT weekend!! And I hope you post more thoughts on CREWEL--I'm so intrigued :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kelly! How are you doing? I'll definitely post some thoughts about CREWEL once I'm finished with it. I'm hoping to carve out some time today and tomorrow to finish it!

      Delete
  5. Such gorgeous photos! Washington DC is actually at the top of my where-i-want-to-live list!

    And ooh, CREWEL, I'm really looking forward to that one. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aieeee, please move to DC!!! I'm all for this idea! Where else are you thinking about moving?

      Delete
  6. I miss NoVa. SOunds like you had an awesome weekend. Your banana bread cookies sound amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you! If you ever get a hankering for banana bread, I'd highly recommend the recipe from All Recipes! It's super easy to make and a crowd pleaser!

      Delete
  7. I would really like a bite of that banana bread/cake. It looks sooo good! And yum peaches!

    All I did this weekend was see BRAVE (very good and so beautiful!), give the puppy a bath, and address my BFF's wedding Save the Date envelopes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're ever in the DC area (or if I come out to LA), I'll make my banana bread!

      Eep, Brave! What did you think? My sister and I are thinking about going this week since we love Pixar movies.

      And yay for puppy baths! I so want a puppy now. :)

      Delete
    2. Yay! I will remember this offer! ;)

      I really liked BRAVE! I don't think it was one of Pixar's best/most innovative (like Wall E or UP), but it was well done - beautiful (makes me want to go to Scotland asap!), funny, and moving! Basically, Pixar did a fairy tale and they did a great job at it. I also liked that unlike most fairy tales (Disneyfied or otherwise), the focus here is on a mother-daughter relationship!

      Delete
  8. Oh D.C I miss you! Miss you too Caroline :)

    The banana bread looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete