June 18, 2012

Weekend Wrap-Up

{Tulips for my grandma's birthday}

Ah, Monday! You again?

You're always sneaking up on me!

Well, Justin left for Afghanistan on Saturday evening, which wasn't very awesome. *Sniff* Fortunately, he only has five weeks left overseas! After that, he'll be home for good and everything will be wonderful and there shall be much rejoicing in the land of Caroline. Yay!

Until then... 

I've been hanging out with my family and brunching it up with a few friends. Yesterday afternoon, I drove down to Crystal City to meet with Jessica Spotswood, Robin Talley, and Livia Blackburne. We're all represented by the same agent and it just so happened that Livia was visiting DC for the weekend, which gave us the perfect excuse to chat about writing and devour tapas at one of my favorite restaurants, Jaleo

I think I've successfully converted Jess and Livia to pan con tomate! I'm still working on Robin though... I don't know how she can resist the siren call of crusty bread + tomato-ey goodness + yummy cheese. Perhaps she is an alien? :)

{Yargh! This picture came out blurry. Also, not loving my hair.}
Oh! I also have exciting news!

Rather, my good friend Ellen Oh has super exciting news! 

Today, Ellen gets to reveal the cover of her YA novel, Prophecy!!! I've been lucky enough to read an early draft of Prophecy and It. Is. Utterly. Awesome. I mean, it's about a kickass warrior girl who kills demons in ancient Korea! I can't wait to get my hands on the finished copy. 

So be sure to head over to Young Adult Books Central later today to check it out! 

*Props chin on hands* How was your weekend by the way?

4 comments:

  1. PAN CON TOMATE!!!!! Nom nom nom...

    So I was telling Jeff about the pan con tomate, and how you had to smear the tomato guts on the bread, and he started asking why you couldn't just put sliced tomato on the bread. And I started arguing with him about how that would totally ruin it because it JUST WOULDN'T BE THE SAME, until finally he just started laughing because I was getting so worked up over my precious pan con tomate.

    I also remembered last night that I ordered this with my parents on one of our first meals in Madrid once. They got it topped with manchego. Unfortunately, the cold bread w/ cheese was a bit too much for my parent's chinese palates. They hated it. Funny enough, I don't remember tasting it. I guess I didn't love it either. Perhaps it wasn't a very good version. Or perhaps I was just not ready...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha. I LOVE that you had a fight with Jeff about pan con tomate! He just doesn't understand. HE JUST DOESN'T KNOW!

      Um, can we have a party with lots of plates of pan con tomate?

      I actually tried to make pan con tomate when I got back from Spain but the tomatoes weren't quite right. I'm going to have to do some experimenting this summer!

      Also, I be my parents would hate pan con tomate too! They can either eat Chinese food or sushi or uber-American food (hot dogs, hamburgers, etc.) but most other cuisines sort of freak them out. Haha.

      So good to meet you again! Hope we can do it again sometime!

      Delete
  2. Jaleo <3 <3 I haven't been there in years and mmhm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jaleo looks delish! (Ridiculous fact: my iPhone made me type delish three times--it kept *correcting* it to Delilah! LOL)

    And to lunch with those cool girls=awesome. I LOVED Jessica's BORN WICKED. It was FANTASTIC. What fun agent sisters to have!

    Have fun with your ARC's and revisions, Caroline! I can't wait to read your book when it's out! :D

    ReplyDelete