March 29, 2012

My Reading List for Spain!

Tomorrow, I leave for Barcelona!

Eep!

My bag is nearly packed and my passport is ready for a brand new stamp! But before I can munch on tapas and practice my extremely rusty Spanish, I must first survive my 8-hour flight to Switzerland and then a 5-hour layover in Geneva. Which is why I have armed myself with a slew of books to devour while I roam around the Geneva airport, where I shall avoid speaking to anyone because I don't know any French or German and I'm terrified I'll have to resort to pointing and grunting to order a sandwich.

(I figure most people will speak English but I was in Paris a few years ago and I politely asked a saleswoman if she spoke any English...and she scoffed at me! So now I'm all nervous.)

Anyway. Books! Here is my reading list for the long flights and train rides:

Grave Mercy
{by Robin LaFevers}

My friend Ellen Oh was kind enough to loan me her ARC and I couldn't resist diving into the novel last night. I mean, the book is about medieval female assassins! How could I resist? The first paragraph totally hooked me:

I bear a deep red stain that runs from my left shoulder down to my right hip, a trail left by the herbwitch's poison that my mother used to try to expel me from her womb. That I survived, according to the herbwitch, is no miracle but a sign I have been sired by the god of death himself.


Code Name Verity
{by Elizabeth Wein}

WWII. British spies. Shot down in Nazi-run France.

Um, yes, please?

Thanks to Sasha and Em, I snagged a copy of this ARC last week and I'm super excited to dig into it. I studied history in college and so any novel with a WWI or WWII backdrop tickles the nerdy historian in me.






A Clash of Kings
{by George R.R. Martin}

Justin and I are huge fans of the show Game of Thrones (new season starts in April!) and he urged me to read the books.

Right now I'm only a few chapters into A Clash of Kings, the second novel in the series, but I'm really enjoying it so far, especially the constant shift of POVs. My favorite POV? Sansa. Oh, Sansa. My heart hurts for her  and what she has lost.

*Death scowl at Joffrey*



Bitterblue
{by Kristin Cashore}

My preciousssssssss....

Haha.

But seriously. Don't touch my copy of Bitterblue! It's mine.

Ok, it's not really mine---I borrowed it from Jessica Sheehan *waves at Jess*---but I am bursting at the seams to read this novel! I have been waiting and waiting for it since I finished Fire three years ago, and I can't wait to get lost in Bitterblue's story.


Since I can be a speedy reader, I also have Under the Never Sky and Black Hole Sun loaded up on my Kindle. Just in case, you know? I can never have enough books! Much to Justin's chagrin....

But he can't complain. Miracle of miracles, I have packed very lightly for this trip, which is no small feat for an over-packer like me. Behold, the suitcase of wonder!

{Me Caroline! Me can pack!}

Yep, I have crammed a week's worth of clothes, three pairs of shoes (thank God for thin ballet flats!), toiletries, and three books into a little carry-on-size suitcase. And I have a tiny bit of space leftover if I want to buy something from Zara during my trip.

Who am I kidding? I'm totally buying something from Zara!

Hope you guys a have wonderfully fantastic weekend!

20 comments:

  1. Bravo on the packing! I'm a terrible packer. I always over-pack, but my sister is a pro at it. Since she actually likes doing it, I just have her do it for me. Haha.

    I'm so jealous of your reads! BITTERBLUE!!! *grabby hands* Also, since you mention your college history background and being tickled by WWI/II backdrops, have you read Michelle Cooper's A Brief History of Montmaray? A came out like 2 years ago, and I just discovered there are sequels! So I'm freaking out because I did quite enjoy that first one, but I don't know anyone else who has read it! It's about an impoverished royal family on a fictional island off the coast of England and France set during WWII.

    Have a fabulous trip & take lots of photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to read Bitterblue!! I shall report back once I finish it. :)

      And yay for book recs, especially historical book recs! I will definitely have to see if my library has a copy of A Brief History of Montmaray. (I'm trying to get most of my books from the library now to save money. Alas.) It sounds very intriguing!

      Delete
    2. I feel you! I totally requested Montmaray from my library as well! I heard about it on a blog somewhere, and something about it just intrigued me (that and I was a bit burnt out from all the dystopia I'd been reading). Hope you're having a fab time!

      Delete
  2. I am super impressed by your efficient packing, but most of all I am envious of 1) your trip (SPAAAAAAAIN <3 <3) and 2) those books! I am very much looking forward to BITTERBLUE and have read wonderful things about GRAVE MERCY and CODE NAME VERITY. Enjoy your reading, and have a fun and safe trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Sarah! And thanks too for your fabulous recs on Spain! I can't wait to eat lots of tapas and to try the red wine drink that you recommended. Mmmm!!!

      Delete
  3. Your packing job is a thing of beauty. I'm totally bringing more stuff than that for the cruise and I will primarily be wearing, like, flip flops and my bathing suit. I've also got CODE NAME VERITY and GRAVE MERCY loaded onto my nook, along with LIES BENEATH and KILL ME SOFTLY and THE WICKED AND THE JUST. And I'm bringing SHADOW AND BONE and maybe one other paper book too...I'm such a dork, my favorite part of packing is deciding which books to read! Have a wonderful wonderful time in Spain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, now I'm kind of regretting that I"m bringing such a small bag. I mean, it'll be nice to have this at customs and when we travel, but I want to bring ALL THE THINGS!

      And we must discuss books once we get back into town! I'm really curious to see what you think about Shadow and Bone!

      Delete
  4. I am in absolute awe of your suitcase. You must write a post about how you did managed to cram a week's worth of clothing, toiletries, and shoes into ONE SMALL bag! Your reading list sounds fab... I'm making it a personal goal to read GRACELING in April so I'll be able to follow up with FIRE and BITTERBLUE. I've heard amazing things about those books!

    Have a blast in Spain, and I look forward to hearing all about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh,I can't wait to hear what you think about Graceling! It's one of my favorites, although I might have liked Fire just a little bit more.

      And yes, I shall write a post about packing! Haha. Is it strange that I really enjoy packing?

      Delete
  5. Oh, my goodness, I want to read ALL of those!! Please report back on how much you enjoyed them when you return. And have a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! And we must grab dinner or drinks with Andrea once I get back! I'd love to chat with you more!

      Delete
  6. I'm reading A Clash of Kings right now too. LOVE! Have an awesome trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rachel!! Are you a fan of the show as well? I can't wait for GoT Season 2 to begin!

      Delete
  7. Seriously????... You bring a bigger bag to our house for the weekend!!

    Have an amazing time and eat fabulous food!! Calories don't count on vacation so don't hold back Please give Justin a big hug from us and a kiss from Sam and Henry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I KNOW! Justin thought it'd be best if we packed light since we'll be traveling from Barcelona to Madrid. And I grudgingly obliged!

      I will definitely give Justin a hug for you and a great big kiss from Sam and Henry! I miss you and those adorable kids of yours!

      Delete
    2. It has taken me a week but I've finished all 3 in the Hunger Games series. Can't wait for you to come home so I can ask you 493720 questions! I hope you are having an amazing time! Hugs and Kisses!!

      Delete
  8. Have an amazing time Caroline!

    I am beyond impressed at your packing skills, I take more when I leave the house for the day!! I am also super jealous you have Bitterblue - it looks so amazing. Actually all those books look great - enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Alexa! Admittedly, I had to do some rearranging of my suitcase today. It is hard to cram all of my stuff in one wee bag! And I can't wait to dive into Bitterblue--when does it come out in the UK?

      Delete
  9. Now that is some impressive packing, my friend! And I love every single book you're bringing---in fact I just started Grave Mercy myself!

    I hope you have an unforgettable trip, lady!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're going to Spain!!! Hurrah!!!! I shall live vicariously through you my friend. Can't wait to hear about it!

    ReplyDelete