Let's Breakdown the Hunger Games Trailer!

So The Hunger Games trailer is now out! If you missed it (or if you want to watch it again), here it is in all its glory:





Um, yeah. I may have watched that trailer a dozen times yesterday. Maybe more. I'm kind of obsessed with the books, okay? Stop looking at me like that!

I know you're probably shaking your head and thinking, "Caroline, get help! Please!" but I think my obsession with the Hunger Games is totally awesome. Indeed, I'm such a super fan that I'm going to break down the trailer! Ready?

Our first look at the Seam! When I read the books, I imagined a grittier setting--dirty skies, houses squeezed together, layers of coal dust on the road--but the movie version has taken a frontier-like tone. I like it though!


Can I tell you guys a secret? I was totally Team Gale when I read the HG trilogy the first time through. It wasn't until I reread The Hunger Games that my heart softened toward Peeta. (You're not a weakling, Peeta! You're just so nice!) But I still have a soft spot for Gale.


I really loved the juxtaposition in this scene. All of the citizens in District 12 wear solemn blues, blacks, and creams while Effie sticks out in a bright magenta suit. Visually, this offers a stark comparison between the bourgeois Capitol and the poor rundown Districts. PS, I loved finally hearing the Capitol accent!


Who cried during the Reaping scene in the trailer? Be honest! *Raises hand* I literally had tears running down my cheeks. Bravo, Gary Ross, for casting Jennifer Lawrence in this role. Her reaction, her scream ("I volunteer!") was heart-wrenching. 


The Capitol! Entertainment Weekly described the city as having a "Blade Runner" look and I have to agree. Very dark and sleek. I was expecting more of a circus-like setting from the way Suzanne Collins had described the city but I like the darker tone for the movie. 


Rue!!! Do you hear that sound? It's my heart tearing in half. 


Our first glimpse of Caesar Flickerman, the interviewer for the Hunger Games! Admittedly, I was a little disappointed with Caesar's toned-down digs. I love how Katniss described him in the book (powdered white face, blue eyeshadow and lips, a suit with "a thousand tiny electric bulbs") but it seems like the movie has pared down the garishness. That's okay though! I'm just glad Stanley Tucci got the role.


President Snow. Boo! Hiss! This might sound awful but when I first heard that Donald Sutherland got cast in this role I thought, "I hope he doesn't die before they finish filming the trilogy!" Eep, sorry, Donald! But another great casting choice by Gary Ross. And I'm sure Donald is in the best of health. :)


I'm not exactly sold on this Renaissance 'do and I still kind of wish that this role had gone to Hugh Laurie but Woody Harrelson is a fantastic actor. Zombieland, anyone? I have faith that he'll rock Haymitch. Don't disappoint me, Woody!


The Hunger Games begin! I'm glad we had this tiny glimpse of Thresh. He doesn't play a huge part in the book but he had such a commanding presence in every scene he was in.

YARGH!

Must I wait until March to watch this movie?!

So what did you guys think of the trailer? Have you watched it a gazillion times like I have? What are you most excited about? Did anything disappoint you?

And, finally, do I need to sign up for Hunger Games Addiction Anonymous? I think I might have to...