May 14, 2011

Who Really Says "Making Love?"


Right before I went to bed last night, I read a few chapters from the YA contemporary novel that's currently sitting on my nightstand. I was flipping through the pages, enjoying the story, but then my eyes stopped cold when I hit a specific phrase. 

"Making love." 

To be more precise, the male protagonist mentioned how he wanted to "make love" to the girl he's chasing in the novel.

I started giggling. I couldn't help it. First of all, have you ever heard a teenage guy say the words "make love" in a very serious tone? And secondly, can anyone really say this phrase without cracking a smile? Anyone? Anyone?

I mean, really. Really! Let's say your spouse/significant other/alien lover walked up to you and caressed your face and murmured in a sultry voice, "Baby, I want to make love to you right now. Oh yeah. Make love." Wouldn't you start giggling? Wouldn't your face turn a little red? Wouldn't you think something odd has happened to your spouse/significant other/alien lover?

So...yeah. Maybe I'm immature. I'll admit that. Maybe I laugh at things that I shouldn't laugh at. Like "making love." But COME ON! It's funny!

At least, I think it's funny. :)

Question time: So what do you think of the phrase "making love"? Funny? Romantic? Gross? Awesome? Should it be used in YA novels or does it sound too dated? 

10 comments:

  1. Making love is completely dated. It's nearly as bad as when I let my immature side out reading a Sherlock Holmes story. The phrase Doyle used to describe a character wooing another required a footnote to explain this was totally normal at the time. But now I can't remember the phrase.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! I had the same reaction when I read that. It sort of ruined the moment for me, because I did stop reading and scoff a bit. NO teenage boy would ever think that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that made me laugh! I cannot imagine a boy saying/thinking that. It makes me think either of Austen, when making love meant wooing, or of a romance from several decades ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, "making love" is only ok in the historical context of old-fashioned wooing, like Sarah said. Otherwise it gets that awful Boyz II Men song from my high school years stuck in my head. ("I'll make looooove to youuuuu") Which is not appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sort of needs a nondescript eastern European accent to pull off. "I veesh to make the love vees you."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jess! You're right! I was hearing snatches of that song but couldn't quite put it together (thankfully!).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeeaaah, I don't think I could take a book seriously if even a contemporary GIRL character said that, much less a teenage boy. I feel like the only time you could use that is if someone was really naive or sheltered, and they were mocked or corrected by other characters.

    Oof.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha no that would have me running! Now I'm all curious about what the book was :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never knew ANY boy that called it that, even back in the olden days of the 70's!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't think anyone except Austin Powers has ever actually used that phrase.

    ReplyDelete