April 15, 2011

I Bid Adieu to My Beloved Border's


My local Border's is closing on Monday, which makes me all sorts of weepy. But the store is also having a grand clearance sale, which makes the penny-pincher in me very happy. As I strolled through the near-empty aisles today, I could have sworn I was suffering from bipolar disorder.

"Oh my goodness, this is the LAST TIME I will ever shop here. *Sobs*"

"But, ZOMG, look at all of the savings! *Grabs books by the fistfuls*"

Most of the store had already been picked through, but I ended up buying five books that only cost me $15. Woot!

Here I am, showing off some of my bounty.
I ended up buying the last copy of Jennifer Donnelly's Revolution, which I've been hankering to read for many months. (Total score!) I also bought: The Clone CodesInside OutPlain Kate, and The Mommy Myth: The Idealization of Motherhood and How It Has Undermined All Women. (Hmm, one of these books is not like the others...)

I already own a copy of Plain Kate but I thought I'd buy another one because it was too good of a deal to pass up. This novel is simply beautiful! The prose, the characters, the storyline, the CAT! It's one of my favorite YA novels and I plan on giving away my extra copy on my blog next week. So stay tuned!

So...I tip my hat to you, my beloved Border's. I shall miss sitting in your comfy black chairs. I shall miss perusing through your aisles. And I shall miss stopping by your YA/MG section on my way to shop at H&M. Le sigh.

You shall be sorely missed! 

6 comments:

  1. I fully support this PLAIN KATE giveaway. Loved that book!

    The Borders that's closing in Boston was also next to an H&M. I don't see how that combo failed to succeed. Whenever I was down that way, I always hit up both stores.

    Good for you scoring some deals. Very little tops saving on books! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I nearly went into a Borders on my last trip to SF. Looking through the window at the majority empty shelves was too painful and I kept walking. I just keep hoping Barns and Noble doesn't go under or I'll have an even harder time buying books (no true Indies in my area).

    ReplyDelete
  3. *sobs* Know exactly how you feel. The last book I bought at my nearest Borders was Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld. Can't wait to dive in!

    So jealous of you picking up Revolution!! Have been wanting to read it since it came out *sigh* Hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, enjoy the new books. I've got Revolution on the TBR pile, but not read it yet. I've heard it's amazing. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Caroline,

    Wow. Sounds like some great deals. :-D

    Hey, could I put in my chance to win Plain Kate now since it's on my TBR pile and I won't have Internet access after today--for like a week? And I wanna win too. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait to read Plain Kate. I've got a copy somewhere in the house, but we're renovating, and it's currently under one of our miscellaneous piles of stuff.

    Our local Borders here in Australia are starting to close down, though we'll still be keeping some. My nearest is intact, which is great. For some of the others, perhaps i'll have to trek for the bargains...

    ReplyDelete