March 19, 2011

Saturday Six


1.) SPRING HAS FINALLY ARRIVED IN DC! THIS NEWS MERITS ALL CAPITAL LETTERS!


2.) I posted this tweet on Twitter today that has caused a bit of a disagreement:

If I could create my own planet, I would make spring and fall last 5 months each. Summer will be 7 weeks. Winter gets 1 week for Christmas.

I seriously thought people would be like, "Sign me up! I'm movin' to your planet!" But to my surprise, people do not like the idea of a shortened summer. You guys really dig this season!

In my defense, I love summer. Well, kind of. See, I've lived most of my life in the DC area and our summers can be defined in three words: hot, humid, and hellish. In short, it feels nice for a minute or two but then a bucket of sweat starts pouring out of your armpits and forehead. Attractive!

DC in spring, on the other hand, is marvelous. Simply marvelous! The cherry blossoms bloom, the trees flower, the grass comes back to life, and the weather hovers in the low to mid-sixties. It is seriously wonderful! Thus, my ideal planet would have a very long spring and just a long enough summer to enjoy water parks, beaches, and watermelons.

3.) I'm trying to eat healthier, but last night I caved and gobbled down a cheeseburger from Five Guys. Five Guys is a burger chain that started in DC but has spread throughout the East Coast and even out West. (Justin and I saw one in Missoula, Montana of all places.) If you've never been to  Five Guys, come visit me RIGHT NOW. The burgers are so yummy!

4.) Oh, I bought and read Lindsay Leavitt's Sean Griswold's Head! I blogged about the book last week and I couldn't help but pick up a copy at B&N on Tuesday. It was really good! Fantastic voice that made me laugh out loud and a love interest who was kind and funny and relatable.


5.)My college friend Lisa Tingey and her husband visited DC this week so Justin and I took them to dinner at one of our favorite restaurants, Jaleo. It was so fun reminiscing with Lisa! We met while on study abroad in London and we got to explore places like the Isle of Wight, Scotland, Paris, Rome, and the Lake District together. *Swoon* We both couldn't stop gushing about the Lake District, even though it has been nearly 8 years since our trip. One day I will go back there!

6.) My WIP is almost finished! Almost, but not quite. I imagine I have about 20K to write and I hope to finish by the end of the month. But man, I'm kind of drained of all of my creative juices. I want to take a few days off but I also want to push through the end. BLARGH!

So what are you guys up to this weekend?

16 comments:

  1. 2) People disagree because they have not experienced DC in summer. The city was built on a swamp! And it sure feels like it for July/August :(

    3) I have never had a Five Guys burger. We must eat some on Thursday when visiting the cherry blossoms!

    6) Yay for being almost done - write write write! Can't wait to read it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, Summer is the best.

    Never realised you'd been to the UK, Caroline. You must have visited the Lake District on one of those miracle non-rainy days they get with about the same regularity as total eclipses.

    Congrats on the productivity, too!

    This weekend, after a couple of great hours writing at Durham Cathedral, I'm mainly jinxing all my sports teams into losing heinously (witness Newcastle's scoreline in the football, and England's poor showing in the rugby #sigh)

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1) There's still snow on the ground here in Canada -- YAY! There was NONE at all in NYC. o_0

    2) You know I'm aboard your planet. ;)

    3) Mail me a burger!

    4) GAH our library doesn't have it yet! Honestly, I recommend so many books to the library system. :P

    5) I <3 European countries. :)

    6) Chug up on Booster Juice (or is it Jamba Juice in the US?) and finish! We're cheering for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I despise summer. Actually, I mostly just despise humidity. I would like to move somewhere were it is 70 and sunny year round, with no humidity. Perfect fall weather. And there can be ONE week of fluffy white snow for Christmas.

    Caroline, if you have the powers to create this planet and make this happen, I am moving there STAT!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Summer in Australia is fantastic, so I'd love you to make summer last for SIX months here. *bows to Caroline* Hehe.

    However, if I lived in a place where summer was horribly humid, I would definitely prefer a short summer and long Spring and Fall.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I lived in CA, I'd argue for summer to last as long as possible. Perfect temp., cool ocean breeze, pools and the beach every you turn, ready to be jumped in to.

    Now that I live in Houston, I love your idea of the fall/spring planet. The humidity and bugs get pretty scary here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would totally live on that planet. We just got a five guys here in Vegas. I haven't been yet but Gabe went this week, and I thought that we went there when we were in Baltimore...

    I want to hang out with you and Lisa!! So jealous. Let's do an England trip next year. Yes? I just need to find some money first.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Five guys changed my opinion of what a hamburger could be for ever! Maryland summer's are awful twenty days over 90 degrees, and we only get like a week and half of spring. the weather here is stupid.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL I live in Canada. Seven weeks of summer would be heavenly. We're lucky if we get two. :P

    Not all places in Canada are like that, tho. There are A LOT of place that get great summers. Just not where we live.

    Love the picture. It's gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lynn, we HAVE to eat a Five Guys burger together! They're so delicious!

    Ian, you're allowed to go to Durham Cathedral and WRITE? Wow! And yes, I absolutely love love love the UK. I keep trying to convince my husband to move to London... :) Also, I did happen to visit the Lake District during one of those rare sunny days. It was the most beautiful place I've ever been!

    Yahong, Jamba Juice is called Booster Juice in Canada? How interesting! And you MUST come to DC one of these days and eat a Five Guys burger with me! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Erin, come live on my planet! I need more residents! Are summers in New Hampshire pretty humid? Ugh, I don't think people realize how horrible humidity is until they've experienced it.

    Kathy, summers in Australia sounds wonderful! Wanna trade with me DC summers? Haha.

    Alyson, Houston summers sound kind of scary! Mostly because of the bugs. I am terrified of creepy crawlies and I hear they're really big in Texas!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lex, I think we did go to Five Guys in Baltimore! I didn't know that they've spread all the way to Vegas already. I wish I could do a Five Guys/In N Out comparison... And yes, can we all please visit the Lake District again?! I miss our study abroad.

    Erinn, agreed! The reason I want spring to last 5 months is because it is so fleeting here in DC. We get this amazing weather for like three weeks and then the humidity sets in. Boo!

    Stina, where in Canada do you live? I bet it's gorgeous despite the short summers! And you probably dont have humidity--wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG Caroline, they are putting a Five Guys in just down the street from me and across from my kids school. Oh lord the trouble I'm going to have!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Summers here in my part of Northern California are hot and dry and dismal, esp. toward August. Hooray for eternal autumn and spring! I'd move to your planet, for sure! Oh, and also, I want to read Sean Griswold's Head now. Thanks for the recommend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would LOVE that planet. I think that I love summer until it's been over 80 degrees for more than a month and then I can't wait for fall :)

    Also, my sis is running the DC marathon next weekend, so if you're out and about look for her!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am so with you on the shortened summer ... but I'd take 3 weeks. Spring and fall really are the best--even in California, where it's mild kind of year-round. I would SO move to your planet!

    ReplyDelete