June 14, 2010

Reading With Our Eyes

Whenever I go to the bookstore, I head straight to the YA New Releases section to take a look at—what else?—the new releases! Sometimes I go to the section with a certain book in mind, but most of the time I just want to peruse.

And when I'm merely perusing, I can't help but let my eyes do all of the picking. After all, human beings are a pretty visual species and I'm no exception. I let my eyeballs do the pickin'!

Here are a few covers that have caught my eye in the past:


Love, love this cover. Such a striking image, isn't it? Granted, I haven't read HUSH, HUSH yet, but you can bet it definitely caught my eye at the bookstore.


I think SHIVER has certainly one of the loveliest YA covers I've ever seen. Love the simple color palette, love the wolf image in the background, and LOVE the red dot in the title.

I really like this cover for one main reason: the girl seems like she can kick some serious ass. Yeah, she looks pretty and innocent as well—but watch out for that sword!

This cover is plain awesomeness. Again, I love the simple colors and the hidden wolf imagery. (Hmm, was this made by the same artist who did Shiver?) And the design itself is just plain cool.

And now, here's a cover that doesn't do the book justice in my mind:

Okay, this cover is just all right. Admittedly, I do like the font and the mockingjay pin (although the pin won't make sense unless you read the book), but I'm not sure if this cover really does THE HUNGER GAMES justice.

Personally, I like the German edition of THE HUNGER GAMES much better. Love the colors, the mystery, and the obscured face. Then again, this cover makes me think of fairies for some reason...so maybe it doesn't convey the story that well either! But I still like it anyway.


So what are your favorite covers—be it YA, MG, PB, or adult? What covers have caught your eye in particular?

8 comments:

  1. I definitely DEFINITELY prefer the US Hunger Games cover over the UK one, but wow, that German one really is eye catching. I'm not really a fan of faces on covers, but that one has enough covered that I like it. And the colors are really sharp, and you can't miss that eye! Or the blood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The SHIVER and HUSH HUSH covers definitely caught my eye when I first saw them. I also love Lauren Kate's FALLEN cover--it has just the right dose of creepy!

    Glad to see I'm not alone in the eye-buying department :D Those covers give me a serious workout!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um, are all YA novels about werevolves/vampires etc. lately?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked the cover of Hush, Hush. Had I not heard such wonderful things about The Hunger Games, I never would have been intrigued enough by the cover to pick it up. I hadn't seen the German version- that one is SO much better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Germany's Hunger Games <3 The other hanuger games look boring comapred to it.

    And, i agree, Hush hush really stands out at the bookshop. And I love that copy of Shiver. have you seen the UK one? Ugh...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I prefer the Germany Hunger Games cover, it's definitely something I'd pick up over the US cover, which is just kind of blah for me.

    Love the Sisters Red cover!

    It is kind of scary that authors don't get much control over their covers, because covers are SO important. The description on the back is what makes me buy the book, but it's the cover that makes me physically pick it up. Unless I've heard about it from elsewhere, as is the case with the Hunger Games (definitely planning to read that one. same with Hush Hush).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not a fan of Shiver. Was suckered into reading Hush hush cos of the cover (regretted it. Worse book ever). And I'd definitely pick the German Cover of The Hunger Games any day over the US cover! Man, the British cover is even worse. At least you lot have SOMETHING. We have nothing

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kaitlin - Oh, I didn't even notice the blood in the corner of that cover! Thanks for pointing it out. Quite cool and creepy. :o)

    Amparo - Yeah, the cover of FALLEN is great as well. I haven't read the book yet though. Have you?

    Kris - Haha, your comment made me chuckle. :o) Fortunately, most agents and editors are sort of over the whole vampire/werewolf craze. Thank goodness!

    Nomes - Yep, I checked out the UK cover for SHIVER... Yikes! It's kind of scary! Thanks for the tip.

    Stephanie - I totally agree! I picked up THE HUNGER GAMES based on a review I read in Entertainment Weekly. I probably would have passed it by if I had seen it at the store.

    Lynn - Oh, I definitely agree with you! It amazes me how little say that authors have concerning their covers. On one hand, I understand that authors aren't artists and we may not know the best way to create a cover. But on the other hand, I wonder why authors aren't more involved with the whole process. Maybe stuff like the whole LIAR cover controversy could have been averted? I don't know.

    Glen - I have to concur with you on your assessment of SHIVER. You know, I did enjoy the book, but I didn't fall in love with it like I thought I would. I think part of the reason is because I'm not the biggest fan of paranormal romance.

    ReplyDelete