March 13, 2006

More and More Alone

In this week's edition of Newsweek, Anna Quindlen touches upon the growing loneliness in the digital age.


It's ironic, isn't it? With email, cell phones, and fast-flying airplanes that whisk us to the other side of the world in a matter of hours, human contact is readily diminishing. Just think of it. Grocery stores are populated with self check-out stations so you don't have to mutter a how-do-you-do when you purchase your food. Gas stations are equipped with easy-access credit card slots so you never have to enter the station itself. And when's the last time you stepped into the bank? I can't remember. The only time I stop at the bank is when I need to withdraw some cash from the ATM.

Modern conveniences have sure made our lives a lot easier, but they also make our lives a lot lonelier.

3 comments:

  1. I'm with you on that one. But, when I clicked on the link to the Quindlen story, I couldn't find it. Maybe you could take a look at it, and see if it's the right link (?). There's this great song by Kate Bush about this kind of idea. It's called Deeper Understanding. I think I'll put it on my blog, so you can hear it. So, stay tuned, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. okay, I'm mutarded. The link is right. I was just expecting something else, because she starts the article out talking about face transplants and stuff. So, I thought it was the wrong article. But, I figured it out - all that loneliness stuff comes in the paragraphs below. ha ha. I guess I should read stuff before I open my mouth. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, the Quindlen article kind of takes you on a journey since she doesn't make her point until halfway through the piece.

    I'm excited to hear this Kate Bush song! I need to expand my music library and you have an excellent taste in music.

    ReplyDelete