High Heel Adventures, Part II

I didn't think it could be possible, but I own a pair of shoes that are even more painful than my beloved BCBGirls.

Ouch, ouch, ouch. There are pink blisters on my feet and my toes have become squished mushes of flesh. I feel like I'm channeling the feet of my Chinese ancestors who had to bind their "delicate lillies" until their feet closed like a fist.

I have gotten a lot of compliments on these shoes though. They're light tan and laced with a mauve ribbon. They're pointy and have a 3.5 inch stiletto heel. They're also from Charlotte Russe---and my friend Amanda attributes this to their ouch-factor. But I wonder, are expensive stilettos more comfortable than cheap ones? Is it possible to wear high heels that don't maim your feet after walking down three city blocks? Maybe I just can't afford the comfy stiletto heel. Or maybe I just can't walk.

My inability to place one foot in front of the other was demonstrated today during my lunch break. Amanda and I were walking to H&M and in the middle of the street, I tripped on my pants and completely stepped out of my shoe. When I tried to pick up my heel, I tripped on my pants again and nearly fell over. I think I must have looked drunk or handicapped or Eastern European; either way, I looked like a buffoon.

But yet again, will such embarassments cause me to swear off high heels? No way! I saw people on the Metro checking out my shoes---men and women. The security guard on the NASM elevator said I looked very nice today. And my pants are just too long to wear any other kind of shoe!

There are so many reasons why I shouldn't wear high heels. They hurt my feet. They maim my toes. They make me trip and fall.

Yet there is one powerful reason to keep doing it---they're damn sexy and I love them.