December 9, 2011

Friday Five

One
A thousand apologies for being such a horrible blogger this past month! Between Justin coming home from Afghanistan, a Thanksgiving trip to Shenandoah, and now a quick trip to North Carolina, I've barely had time to breathe!

Two
Right now, we're in the very military town of Fayetteville, NC where Justin is giving a presentation at Fort Bragg. We lived here for three years while Justin was in the Army and I, um, was very grateful when we moved away. Hahaha. What can I say? I'm just not that into pawn shops and gun stores!

Three
Traveling has made me a terrible blogger but it has given me some time to catch up on reading! A few books I've read in the past few weeks:


All great reads! The writing in Magic Under Glass was simply lovely. There were so many passages that made me sigh and wish I could write as beautifully as Jaclyn Dolamore. The Art of Racing in the Rain had a terrific voice---the book is told from the POV of a dog!---and it could have been gimmicky but it wasn't. I also enjoyed The Future of Us (I sped through it in one afternoon) and all of the references to the 90s was a great blast from the past.

Also, it made me feel old... Discmans? Caller ID? American Online? Um yeah, those were my teen years!

Four
Speaking of traveling (ha!), Justin and I are leaving on Monday for the Florida Keys! We're celebrating Christmas early with his family and I've already stocked up on a few books from the library to keep me company.


I've already started Blood Red Road (isn't that cover awesome?) and, while it takes a bit of time to get used to that slang, it's a fantastically written novel so far.

Five
Lastly, it's my birthday tomorrow! Egads, I'm becoming an old woman and I'm not exactly looking forward to turning a year older. But! I was able to treat myself to a few things from Anthropologie, thanks to Justin and an Anthro b-day coupon. Yay, coupons and nice husbands! Boo, getting older!

On the left, I bought myself a cute blouse since I'm a sucker for lace. And on the right, I also got an owl candle that was 30% off! Whenever I get myself my own desk, he's going to keep me company. What should I name him?


So what are all of your plans for this weekend? Anything fun? Staying warm?

9 comments:

  1. Happy Early Birthday, Caroline!

    I've been wanting to read THE FUTURE OF US, so I'm happy to see that you enjoyed it. And OH GOSH, I absolutely ADORE that owl candle. So cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg that owl is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday for tomorrow - and enjoy the Keys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ohhh, Florida. Jealous! And happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Early Birthday! Hope you and Justin have SO much fun in the Keys. I love it there!

    I just finished THE FUTURE OF US as well, and also loved all the nineties references. I wasn't sure what to expect from that book, but I ended up really enjoying it.

    Excited to hear what you think of BUNHEADS (love that cover!) and VARIANT. They're both on my To-Read list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. First of all HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

    Also: I loooooved BLOOD RED ROAD, so I was so happy to see that on your TBR list. VARIANT is also awesome. You have some fun reading ahead of you!

    THE FUTURE OF US is high on my own list. I think I might jump on it after I finish JENNA FOX (which I am in the middle of and totally digging!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy belated birthday!! I went to the Keys in May and loved it. You should definitely visit Hemingway's house, if you haven't already.

    I'm borrowing my friend's copy of THE FUTURE OF US and I'm excited to read it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy belated birthday! Love the owl. Did you know that--according to American Indian folklore, don't know which tribe--owls keep away evil spirits? Cool, right?

    Hope you had fun in the keys. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  9. i saw that owl in the basement! i'm gonna go light it now

    ReplyDelete