September 6, 2011

Books to Drool For

I rarely pre-order books---I love the feeling of going into the bookstore and staking my claim on a new release---but I've been drooling over a few novels that come out in a few weeks and I had an Amazon gift card to burn. So I ended up buying...


 

I couldn't resist! See, I fell in love with Laini Taylor's prose when I read her short story collection, Lips Touch Three Times, and now I simply can't wait to get my hands on Daughter of Smoke and Bone. It has been getting all sorts of glowing reviews (including hard-to-please Kirkus Book Reviews) and so I think this may be a rare novel that will meet, and perhaps exceed, its hype. 

Oh, and Lola! I had to buy that too. I adored Anna and French Kiss (Paris! British boys! Kisses!) and I've heard Lola and the Boy Next Door is even better. Now, I must resist the urge to wait in for the mailman by my door each day, chanting "Gimme gimme gimme!" 

To make my TBR pile even bigger, I'm also drooling over a few books I've noticed on Publishers Marketplace lately. I probably won't get my hands on these books until 2012 or 2013, which means I must be very, very patient. 

*Scowls*

I hate being patient. 

Anyway, here are three that have caught my eye: 

#1
August 31, 2011
 Children's:
Young Adult 
Jaclyn Dolamore's DARK METROPOLIS, about a city in which corruption and vice are rampant and disappearances warrant a shrug from the authorities: when a girl vanishes, her best friend must search the city's underground, only to find that here, people who die don't necessarily stay dead, to Catherine Onder atDisney-Hyperion, at auction, in a six-figure deal, in a two-book deal, by Jennifer Laughran at Andrea Brown Literary Agency (World English).
Translation Rights: Taryn Fagerness Agency

#2

August 26, 2011
 Children's:
Young Adult 
THE LAKE OF DEAD LANGUAGES author Carol Goodman's trilogy, set between 1912-1920 in a world that blends history and fantasy, about a girl at a boarding school that trains young women with unique abilities to defend the world from dark forces, to Kendra Levin at Viking Children's, in a good deal, by Robin Rue atWriters House (World).

#3

June 3, 2011
 Children's:
Young Adult 
Gen Albin's CREWEL, the first in a trilogy that is equal parts science fiction, adventure, and romance, this debut novel takes place in a world where women known as "spinsters" are able to "weave" the very fabric of existence, to Janine O'Malley at Farrar, Straus Children's, in a major deal, in a three-book deal, byMollie Glick at Foundry Literary + Media (North America).



So how about you? What books have you been drooling over lately? 

4 comments:

  1. Ooh, those are both on the top of my TBR list as well! I'm also dying to read ASHES (Isla Bick) -- I think it came out today, actually. I might have to make a trip to the bookstore this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I rarely pre-order, either -- but the two you listed, DAUGHTER OF SMOKE & BONE and LOLA AND THE BOY NEXT DOOR, I just pre-ordered last week. I've already read DAUGHTER and loved it so much I have to have a hardcover copy. And I adored ANNA and thus am looking forward to LOLA.

    Ooh, I'm curious about the 3 PM blurbs you posted here. Gen Albin's CREWEL I'm definitely curious about, especially with her the hype around how quickly she got an agent and an editor. BUt DARK METROPOLIS sounds so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been drooling over Glimpse by Carol Lynch Williams. I've taken it out from the library twice but don't think I'll be satisfied until I own it. It's a novel in verse, which I absolutely love. And it's among the best of them. It's a troubling story but sooo beautifully written. The characters stay with you long after you put the book down.

    Oh, and as a fellow book drooler you may want to stop by my blog - I'm holding a giveaway. Just sayin' ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, I can't wait for Smoke and Bones and Lola! And I think I spot something on Publishers Marketplace everyday that I can't wait to read. :)

    ReplyDelete