September 20, 2011

The 500th Post!

Today is a milestone for my little blog. This is my 500th post!

Whoa! I'm not sure if I should pat myself on the back: What ho, fine chap! 500 posts is rather smashing!

Or to shake my head: So much time wasted! You should have been writing or exercising or saving the ocean or breeding Persian cats to make extra cash! 

Anyway, I'm in a reflective mood today. I can't help but think about what I was doing when I wrote my very first post. Where I was living. What was I feeling. What was I doing. Back in January 2006 (when I started this blog) I was quite a different creature!

So here we are, a blog retrospective:

In January 2006...


Bridesmaid at my friend Alexis' wedding
  • I was 23 and a recent college graduate. I was terrified of the Real World.
  • I'd just started working at the National Air and Space Museum in Washington, D.C. It was the first Real Job I'd ever had, complete with my own cubicle!
  • Sometimes I got bored at work so I started a blog. I titled it, "Adventures In Space."
  • I was nursing a broken heart. I had been dating a guy who was all sorts of wrong for me. I cried a lot.
  • I thought about my career a lot too. For awhile, I thought I wanted to become a museum curator or a college professor. So I applied to graduate programs in London. 'Cause this Real World thing? Nah, I'd rather live in London!
  • But, secretly, I wanted to become writer. It was what I had dreamed about since I was a little girl.
  • At night, I wrote personal essays. I even sent a few of them off to places like Newsweek and the Washington Post. I aimed high. 
  • I got rejected. 

Fast forward five and a half years. In September 2011...

Bridesmaid at my friend Amanda's wedding. 
  • I'm 28. I shall stay this age forever. I will never turn thirty. 
  • I work as a writer. It's difficult and draining and sometimes it feels like someone has scooped out my brains and filled my skull with flesh-eating lemurs. But I love it. Lemurs and all.
  • I've been lucky enough to have my articles published in newspapers and magazines. But still no Newsweek or the Washington Post.
  • One day though! *Raises fist* 
  • Remember that guy I bawled over back in 2006? Well, a few months after that, I met a certain boy named Justin. We've been together now for five years, and I couldn't ask for a more supportive, loving, hilarity-making husband. If writing is the calling of my mind, then he is the calling of my heart.
  • I think that should be a Hallmark card. Maybe tweaked. "Dear Husband: I love you. If knitting little hats for cats is the calling of my mind, then marrying you is the calling of my feline-obsessed heart." 
So whoa. Five years has blown by so quickly! I kind of wish I could take Caroline circa 2006 and give her a few words of advice. Like, stop crying over that stupid boy! And, hone your writing before you submit to the freaking WaPo! But, I figure I had to figure things out on my own, huh?

Either way, happy 500 posts, Little Blog! Thanks for letting me share lots of random thoughts and pictures with you.

13 comments:

  1. Caroline, I love this post! It is amazing how quickly (and simultaneously slowly) time seems to go. How much can change and how much can stay the same. And by the way -- that picture of you at your friend's wedding this month is gorgeous! Congrats on post #500. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your 500th post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your 500th post. Sometimes when the doubts creep in we can ffel like we're stagnant. But when we look back it is easy to see how much we've grown. Look at all you've accomplished! Congrats! I hope even more exciting things are coming in the next five years!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yay congrats! And now I'm worried I'll have nightmares of flesh-eating lemurs ...

    It's crazy to look back five years. I still thought I'd be an engineer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy 500! So cool to look back over the years and see the progress we've made. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww, happy 500! And thanks for sharing that retrospect--five years can make a huge difference, can't it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. MAJOR CONGRATS!! It's so cool to see how time can change so much!

    And I agree--you will NEVER turn thirty. NEVER.

    *raises fist*

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on 500 posts--quite an accomplishment! Makes me wonder how many I have...?

    I turned 30 this year... it wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be, though I'm dreading 31. Sounds so old!

    Here's to 500 more posts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations, Caroline. Wow, 500 huh?! As a beginning blogger (just started last month) the thought of 500 posts is a little daunting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Erin, thanks! And I just saw on your blog that you reached your first anniversary! Wahoo for blogs!

    Sue, thank you so much!

    Alyson, agreed! It's really crazy to look back and to see how things have changed and, yes, to see how I've grown. Man, time sure flies, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lynn, ahhh! What if you were still an engineer? What would I do without our lunches?!

    Janet, thank you! This post was really fun to write because it was neat to look back.

    Laura, yes, exactly! Five years can make such a huge difference! From the day to day, it doesn't seem like much but it definitely adds up!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amparo, YES! Never turn thirty EVER! Haha.

    Katy, why does our society make such a big deal out of turning 30?! I think that's why I get freaked out, but then I realize that my thirties will probably be pretty fun. I won't have the self-confidence issues I had in my early 20s and I'll be more established in my career. Really, I should look forward to turning 30!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Inluvwithwords, I didn't realize that you had just started your blog! You already sound like a pro. :)

    ReplyDelete