March 1, 2011

Would it be possible to microchip my kids?


I know, I know. What a weird question, right?

But it's a random question I've been thinking about. See, I'm getting to the point in my life where I'm thinking about having kids. Thus, I'm already fretting about being a mom. What if I mess them up? What if they end up hating me? What if I can never nap again? And what if---God, forbid---I ever lose them?

When I was a kid, I remember wandering away from my parents from time to time. Often at the mall. Or at the beach. Panic ensued. I cried. My parents fretted. Fortunately though, everything worked out well in the end.

But...what about all of those kids who are lost for hours? Days? Weeks? Who are kidnapped? Who are never found? Wouldn't it make sense to insert one of those little microchips somewhere on the body in case this happened?

"Mommy, I is not a puppy!"
I know, I know. You're probably thinking, "Caroline is kind of going off of the deep end. UNFOLLOW." But I'm honestly curious about this! (Plus, you can read an article on the topic on Boston.com. See? I'm not that crazy!) Here are some pros and cons to this idea:

Pros
1.) Find your lost kid! 
2.) Avoid panicking! 
3.) You don't have to use those kiddie leashes!  

Cons
1.) What cons?
2.) Joking! I'm joking! :)
3.) Inevitably, some crazy parents are going to microchip their teenagers to spy on them. 
4.) Pets are pets, but kids are kids. And kids deserve some kind of privacy, especially when they become teens.
5.) If an abductor knows a kid has a microchip, it wouldn't be hard to cut it out.

As for me, the jury is still out when it comes to microchipping. I think it's a fantastic idea for pets but I do feel a bit wary about microchipping my kids. Still, I might have a change of heart when I become a worried, harried mother. 'Cause I tend to worry a lot!

What do y'all think though? Yay or nay? 

6 comments:

  1. I'm generally opposed to microchipping. One of the reasons: Hackers can pretty much hack into anything. What's to stop them from one day hacking into some database of microchipped kids or teens or your kid all grown up and finding them that way? Easier to kidnap for sure. Of course, that's probably not going to happen. But I like to worry.

    Of course, there's the privacy thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha ha - feels like it sometimes - but I never would.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HaHa... This is like one of those things in a fictional movie, where at first it starts out with a great purpose, but eventually it's taken too far - and Arnold Schwarzenegger ends up saving the planet.

    Well, not really... that'd be a little unrealistic. I personally don't think it's a horrible idea. I think it has the potential to do a lot of good - but at some point I think people should have the right to decide whether or not they want a microchip in them (or the right to take it out).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe a volume control...

    Seriously though, I wouldn't microchip my kids, although the thought of losing them is terrifying. I think their right to privacy is too important and you just know something like this would be abused by someone somewhere.

    The article you linked to said that the vast majority of children are kidnapped by someone they already know. If that is the case then a microchip probably wouldn't save them.

    And all those fears you mentioned at the start? Everyone I know has felt like that - don't worry. (except about the napping part - those definitely are out when kids arrive)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Uh, no.
    I think there is way more potential for harm there than good.

    Buuut, maybe if we just say our kids are microchipped, potential kidnappers would be warned off. Like the old "dye in the pool" ruse.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Texas Mom5:15 PM

    Funny that so many other people are thinking about this. I can see both the pros and cons, but isn't having a cell phone or car with a GPS going to invoke concerns about your teen's privacy as well? What about Nanny-Cams and the Nanny's right to privacy? What about fitting room cameras and my right to privacy while undressed?

    I have to the devil's advocate here and say that I microchip my pets and wish that the opportunity was available to microchip my kids. If they want it out at 18, that is certainly an option they have as an adult.

    I would like to see it happen to the degree that if a child is reported missing to the authorities, it is possible to know where that child is, without ultimately looking for fingerprints or providing dental records.

    Is there a happy medium?

    ReplyDelete