November 8, 2010

Have you read the Best Books of 2010?

On Friday, Publishers Weekly posted their list of the "Best Books of 2010"...

...and I haven't read a single one of them.

*Hides*

Granted, the list is comprised of adult fiction and non-fiction titles and I read mostly YA/MG/astronomy books these days. But, but, but. This is no excuse! As a book lover, I need to start feeding my brain with some of these books. Frankly, they sounds pretty awesome! Here are three that I really want to tackle: 

The Surrendered by Chang-rae Lee

PW's Review:
"Grim, but so is Dostoyevski. Lee, who can craft a sentence, follows several decades in the lives of an American soldier and a Korean orphan whose paths cross during the Korean War, the reverberations of which, Lee shows, are now deeply woven into the fabric of what it means to be American."

My take:
Oh, I'm a sucker for beautiful writing and novels woven with history. Sold.


The Lonely Polygamist by Brady Udall

PW's Review:
"Golden Richards, a fundamentalist Mormon with four wives and 28 children, flirts with infidelity in this tragicomic family saga with a cast of flawed, perfectly realized characters. Don't mistake this for the Great American Mormon Novel—it could just be the Great American Novel of the year."

My take:
I've actually been meaning to read this books for months since it's gotten amazing reviews but I haven't wanted to pony up the $20 to buy it. (I'm cheap, yo.) But..."Great American Novel of the Year"? Yeah, I need to read this book pronto!

The Warmth of Other Suns by Isabel Wilkerson

PW's Review:
"Wilkerson's sprawling study of the flight of six million blacks from the humiliation of Jim Crow to uncertain destinies in the American North and West is expansive in scope, pointillist in focus, and a triumph of scholarship and empathy. Anchoring her narrative in the suspenseful stories of three who made the journey, Wilkerson humanizes the migration that reshaped American demographics, art, and politics."

My take:
Back in September, all of the newspapers and magazines I read lavished praise for this book. New York Times! Newsweek! Washington Post! Every reviewer adored it. I've been hesitant to read this book, however, due to the subject matter. I've always had a hard time reading about racism but I think I need to satiate the inner history geek inside me and pick up a copy of this book. Plus, isn't the title awesome? It's perfect.

So what's on your To-Be-Read list?

7 comments:

  1. Let's both read "The Warmth of other Suns" and then have a mini-book club! I've been hearing a ton about it too.

    One that's also on my list is "The Two Income Trap: Why Middle-Class Mothers and Fathers Are Going Broke." It's by Elizabeth Warren, Obama's pick to head that new consumer protections entity. I'm curious to see her take on the topic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard nor read any of those you listed. I have several books on my TBR list, too many to list... but right now I'm reading...

    Entwined by Heather Dixon.

    My favorite novels of 2010 have to be Matched by Ally Condie, Firelight by Sophie Jordan and Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, those all sound great. I'm trying to read more literary fiction and fiction outside my narrow fantasy/sf genre, so these could be great additions to that list!

    I felt sure I wouldn't have read any of the books on their list, but I checked it out anyway, and turns out I've read exactly one: FEED, by Mira Grant. I read it after hearing/semi-meeting Seanan McGuire aka Mira Grant at WorldCon and thinking she was awesome. The book doesn't disappoint, and the science of the zombie disease gives me geekgasms.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for posting that list! i'm going to add some books to my TBR.

    they also have a best books of 2010 children's list - full of MG and YA (including Mockinjay - which I know you've read :)

    http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/print/20101108/45090-pw-s-best-children-s-books-2010.html?page=1

    oh - and yes, have read Bright Young Things - i didn't mind it, but it's not a favourite :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kris, let's definitely do it! It has been WAY too long since our last book club. :)

    Jen, I can't wait to read Matched! I'm so envious that you got an ARC!

    Meagan, FEED sounds like an awesome read! Science of zombie disease? I'm very intrigued!

    Nomes, that link is awesome! Thank you for passing it along! And thanks for letting me know what you thought of Bright Young Things. Maybe that's another one I should get at the library.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yikes not one and only four form the children's list! What have I been reading this year :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't read a single one either, and I've read "Adult" books almost exclusively this year. I guess that means I read a lot of trash, right? Oh yeah... I do.... I like escapism!

    Reviews Of Unusual Size!

    ReplyDelete