November 25, 2010

A Chinese Thanksgiving

If you haven't noticed, I'm Chinese.

Yes, it is true! Unbelievable, I know!

And because I am Chinese, my family's Thanksgivings are always kind of...interesting. For instance, we used to baste our turkey with soy sauce when I was a kid. Plus, we always serve rice with our meal. As my grandma says, "Chinese people need to eat rice!" So, rice it is!

This year's Thanksgiving was just like any other Chinese Thanksgiving in my household. Rice was served. Chicken livers were sauteed (my mom's creation). And my grandma sniffed at all of the strange American food. Even better, our meal was doubly amusing this year because my mom invited one of her friends to join us. This friend recently arrived in America from China and this would be her first Thanksgiving. Cue antics...

Chinese Woman: "What is this? Is this a grape?"
Me: "Uh...that's a dried cranberry."
Chinese Woman: "I see. What am I eating right now? Is this...bread?"
My dad: "Yes, those are bread crumbs!"
Me: "Uh...Dad, that's actually my stuffing." 
My dad: "Oh, yes, yes. That is what I meant."

Heh.

My poor husband. To be more precise, my poor white husband. You see, all of our conversations tonight were spoken in Chinese. Yep. Justin was kind of baffled the whole meal and had to excuse himself early.

But that's what you get when you attend a Chinese Thanksgiving!

5 comments:

  1. Ha! I know exactly how your hubby feels. I'm married into a chinese family and have often spent my time at parties not knowing what on earth is going on.

    It's not intentional, everyone just keeps forgetting that there's a white guy in the corner who can hardly understand a word they're saying. It is surprising though how much you can pick up from tone and body language, not to mention the odd smattering of curses and common words

    And chicken livers are top of the pops. I love them with onions and in a peri peri sauce.

    Never tried basting a turkey with soy sauce, but I'm sure my kids would love the idea of that one at christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ian, I'm sure you and my husband could definitely swap stories! He's a good sport, but I can tell he feels a bit out of place when my family breaks out the Chinese.

    Do you think Chinese sounds angry, by the way? Haha. My husband says that he always thinks my parents are fighting, but they're just...talking very loudly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the meals I had with your family. It was definitely entertaining, but fun. I think there was even rice for breakfast. Am I wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh geez that's funny. I can honestly imagine what it must have looked like at that dinner table and in my mind, it would be perfect for an SNL skit:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol, cute post :) It always fascinates me to hear about how differently people celebrate holidays. Also, poor Justin! Did you have to spend a lot of time translating instead of chewing?

    ReplyDelete