Where do you get your inspiration?

Over the weekend, Justin and I finally got around to watching the new reboot of "Clash of the Titans." (Mmm, Sam Worthington...) The movie was okay, but it did give me an interesting idea for a new book.

Girl + Rome + Mythology + Murder. Kind of a historical novel but with a fantastical twist. 

Hmm, could be intriguing. 

This got me thinking about all of the book ideas bouncing around in my head. I swear, most of them simply pop into my mind out of nowhere! I can be driving down the highway or shopping for new sweaters and voila. The Shiny New Idea appears.

But these ideas have to come from somewhere, right? So for the past couple of days I've been ruminating over where these inspirations must have been born. A run-through of a few of my books:

The Cosmic Chronicles of Danny J. Singer (MG science fiction)
This was the first book I ever wrote, and it is my book currently on sub. The inspiration for this novel is pretty easy to identify: "Star Trek: The Next Generation." Yep, I'm a nerd. I idolized this show as a kid and I wanted nothing more than to enlist in Starfleet Academy. (Any coolness points I have gained over the years have just been wiped out by that last sentece.) So...I wrote this book for my fourth-grade self and for sci-fi nerds everywhere!

Forever Young (YA dystopian)
Okay, here's the premise of this novel: "In a world where nobody ages past 30, fifteen-year-old Ellie Snow isn't sure if she wants to stay forever young." 

And the inspiration: Realizing that my ten-year high school reunion was coming up in a few months and  panicking about the fact that I'll be turning the big 3-0 in a couple years.

I was pretty excited about this idea but then I found out that Justin Timberlake just signed on to make a movie with the exact same premise. *Sob* Well, onto the next idea I suppose!

The Tale of Ren and the Shuten Doji (MG historical fantasy) 
I've only written a few pages of this novel, which takes place in medieval Japan, but I'm pretty stoked about it! The inspiration for the project stemmed from an exhibit I saw at the Freer & Sackler Galleries in DC. The exhibition displayed this gorgeous painting that depicted an ancient Japanese legend---and I fell in love with the story. Now I just have to do a lot of research...

What about you guys? Where do you get your inspiration from?