September 22, 2008

What's your beef with Muhammed, America?

A couple of weeks ago, one of Justin's friends stopped by our apartment to say hello and to catch-up with my husband. For a few minutes they talked about the Army and about general military stuff (deployments, training, etc.), but then their conversation drifted into the realm of politics. Justin's friend was a bit put off to hear how my husband plans to vote for Barack Obama in November.

"Aren't you concerned about his Muslim background?" he asked.

My mouth almost dropped open. Seriously? Seriously?

First of all, Obama is not a Muslim and has never practiced Islam.

Second of all, why should it matter even if Obama was a Muslim? The prejudice exhibited by some Americans simply astounds me. It seems as if some of my countrymen believe:

Muslim = Terrorist
Muslim = Evil



Nearly one-fifth of human beings on this Earth are members of the Islamic faith. Are these people all terrorists? Are these people all evil and distrustful? Sure, a small portion of Islamic extremists hate America and would like nothing more than to see us bombed out and depleted, but these terrorists are in a tiny minority compared to the general populace of peaceful Muslims.

Personally, I don't care if my president is a Christian, Jew, Muslim, Hindu, Sikh, pagan, or an atheist. I don't care if he or she worships the Great Oak Tree of Liberty. That is his business. Not mine. All I ask of a president is to keep his religion to himself and to perform to the best of his abilities.

So please, America, stop haranguing Obama over his supposed "Muslim background." It just makes us look like a bunch of close-minded bigots.

7 comments:

  1. Caroline, you are awesome. I get so tired of ignorant people. I'm a big Obama supporter myself, and I catch a lot of crap for it from some people. My uncle is always talking about how Obama won't say the pledge of allegiance, and how he refuses to salute the flag, and how he wants to replace the national anthem with "I'd like to teach the world to sing . . ." And, the sad thing is that he actually believes these audacious lies! He's otherwise a very smart person, but he is so stupid when it comes to falling for political propaganda.

    Anyway. I hope all is well with you and your husband!

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. What what what?? You're writing a novel? Can I please please please read it? Or at least part of it? I think that's about the coolest thing I've ever heard. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Trav!

    Hooray to hear from another Obama supporter! I don't mind when people don't want to vote for Obama because of his inexperience or because they like McCain's platforms better. That's fine. This is an election and we are free to choose who we want to for!

    But I hate, hate, hate some of the lies spread about Obama. I recently got a forward from a woman I barely know from church about Obama's "Muslim faith" and how he'll become friends with terrorists once he's president. Why do people believe such things?! It really frustrates me.

    Anyway, you're more than welcome to read my novel (it's a sci-fi children's book---I'm a nerd) once it's finished! I just have to write about 40-50 pages and I have a LOT of editing to do...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we were very lucky to grow up in the DC area around intelligent, hardworking people of all different religions. I felt Mitt Romney (though he's too conservative for my taste) also suffered from religious discrimination. The "Obama is a Muslim" thing is so sad on so many levels. I don't know when this country became a theocracy but it is disturbing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh. Anger.

    Sometimes I think that a lot of McCain supporters only support McCain because they have been tricked into being afraid of Obama. That's probably not fair, but most of the arguments FOR McCain seem to go along these lines. I had to prove to my father that Obama did not refuse to swear in on the Bible, which, of course, shouldn't be a problem even if he did.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is simply astonshing to me the number of people who have told me they won't vote for Obamaa because he's a muslim, or because he swore into office on the Koran. It is hard for me not feel that this election will boil down to whether or not Americans will be able to overcome their prejudices. I am almost relieved when people say they don't want to vote for Obama, and then cite a policy reason for their thinking. Mohamed takes attacks against Obama so personally I'm afraid we'll have to leave the country if he loses. Actually, that'd be fine with me :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Caroline,
    I love reading your blog! I was so happy to read this post because I have been thinking about this very issue for a while. It's sad to me that Obama has to risk offending Muslims in order to make clear to the rest of America that he is not one of them. There's something so wrong with that. I have such mixed feelings about the prejudice that has been revealed during this election. It's so disheartening on the one hand, but at least it has brought to the attention of so many people the fact that racism and sexism and religious persecution have not faded away. I have to believe that the first step to truly fixing these problems is ackowledging them. One can hope, right?

    ReplyDelete