June 23, 2008

A New Addition to the Richmond Clan!

We're expecting!

Er...a new vacuum that is.

In a matter of days, Justin and I will welcome a new Dyson "The Ball" vacuum to our dirt-ridden apartment. I found a great price for it on Amazon (40% off!) and we decided we couldn't pass this chance up. A Dyson! In our very own home! Suffice to say, I'm quite excited.


My newfound passion for vacuum cleaners is a rather strange one for a girl like me. As a kid, I hated vacuuming and I would dread the moment when my mother shoved our hand-held Dirt Devil in my hand and ordered me to vacuum the basement staircase. I know, I know---it was just one flight of stairs! But still...I hated doing it.

I hated using the vacuum in college too. During my monthly cleaning checks, you could find me scrubbing the bathroom floor or defrosting the freezer but I left the vacuuming to my roommates. I loathed dragging the giant heavy vacuuming apparatus from the closet and pushing it around the carpet. I know, I know---it's such an easy job! But still...I hated doing it.

Fast forward a few years and I'm now married and living in a nice apartment. (Hey, it's not a mansion, but it's big enough for two and relatively new.) When Justin and I went shopping for a vacuum, we just chose one we found at Target: it was small, it was black, and it was cheap. Surely, this little Eureka could keep our carpet dirt-free. But boy, were we wrong.

The carpet in my apartment hasn't been thoroughly cleaned in over a year--gross, I know. Oh, Justin and I try to clean the carpet but our stupid Eureka just pushes dirt around instead of sucking it up. (It doesn't help either that I have long hair and shed like a Persian show cat.) The breaking point came for us when I realized that I could clean my carpets better with my bare hands than with my vacuum cleaner. Yep. My vacuum is pretty sucktastic.

So I can't wait for our new bundle of joy to arrive! Even Justin is excited about the newest addition to our family. He told me last night that he's looking forward to when the FedEx truck drives up to our apartment to drop off our very first child---er, I mean Dyson.

5 comments:

  1. You freaked me out when you said you were expecting! Geez!

    Did you guys get a dog yet? Good to get the Dyson first. Maybe you should name the dog Tyson. They will be brothers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, I am so jealous! When ours broke down last month we had to settle for a used one from Goodwill. But you better believe we were salivating over the Dysons everytime we went to Target. I just hope it's everything you dreamed it to be!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha. Dyson and Tyson! No, we haven't got a dog yet. Our apartment complex is stupid and they require a non-refundable pet fee AND a pet rent. Seems like a money sinkhole to me. Someday though! I want to own a big German Shepard and name him Atticus.

    Kris, I'll let you know how the Dyson goes! I'm sure it'll be better than our current piece of crap...

    ReplyDelete
  4. how exciting!! new vacuums are great! one of the few chores i didn't mind doing was vacuuming. i have a purple vacuum now, and even though it isn't a dyson, i like having a purple vacuum. makes cleaning more fun. i say do whatever you need to do to help yourself clean a bit more. cause thats what i do. you should see my broom. and my expensive (but smells fabulous) cleaning products. it's money well spent.:) and if you need to borrow it, we have a hand held bissel carpet cleaner. it is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm jealous! what a fun package to expect. :)

    also, just catching up on your blog and LOVE your editorial! great job. Izzy loooves books and also "reading" to us. it's amazing to see how much she learns from books and she is only two! (she also loves tv, but we aim for moderation with that one:)

    ReplyDelete