June 5, 2008

The Book List

A couple of days ago, I headed to the bookstore to take a little break from writing. As I glanced around the Summer Reading tables, I picked up the 50th anniversary edition of Lolita and I knew I had to have it. I read this book two summers ago but I borrowed the novel from my local library with the intent on purchasing it if I really enjoyed it. And I really did like it. (Morbid, I know.) I just never got around to buying the damn thing.

Scribbled down somewhere in one of my old journals is a list of books I want to have in my own personal library. These are books I read in high school or college or in my post-graduate life that I just haven't gotten around to purchasing (ie Unaccustomed Earth). These are books too that I have lost (The Color Purple) or lent out to a friend and was never returned (The Princess Bride). I still wonder at times where my old dusty copy of A Handmaid's Tale has run off to--perhaps it has joined A Wrinkle in Time in the land where lost books go?

Anyway, here are a few tomes on my book list that I would like to own some day soon:

One Hundred Years of Solitude (Read this in high school. My copy of it survived through my five years in college before it disappeared without a trace. Sigh.)

The Feminine Mystique (Fantastic read. Changed my life by freeing my inner feminist.)

The Princess Bride (Such a fun story. I love the movie too but the film lacks some of the whimsy and wit of the novel.)

The Sirens of Titan (Vonnegut is kind of insane, but in a genius sort of way.)

The Green Book (This is a short little novel I read in the third grade. I LOVED IT! Must have it. Must read to my future half-white, half-Asian children.)

So what are some books you've been meaning to buy for your at-home library?

6 comments:

  1. I'm reading History of Love right now from the library and I wishing that I owned it. I also checked out Handmaid's Tale and I'm excited to read it! We'll have to chat when I'm done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the list. There are some on there I haven't read yet, and since I successfully defended my thesis a couple days ago (thank you, thank you), I need something else to keep me occupied during Theo's naps.

    I think a lot about books I want in my library that I want my kids to read. I've started buying Roald Dahl, Agatha Christie, Jane Austen, and other books I liked to read when I was a kid. I think I might need to get A Wrinkle in Time. Did you ever read a book called Half Magic? I loved that one. I wonder if I could find it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kris, Lex, we should have a little book club to discuss A Handmaid's Tale! I need to read it again since I read it back in high school and I don't remember too much about it.

    And Lex, congratulations on defending your thesis! Wow! That is great!

    (Haven't read Half Magic but I'll try to find it at the library.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let's do it! One of the many titles on my embarassingly long "never read" list. Virtual book club. Awesome. I'll pick it up asap.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Allison7:37 PM

    Haha, I LOVED the Green Book too! Interesting isn't it, I think they were on the planet because they'd exhausted Earth's resources. We read it in 4th grade.

    I'll have to check out that Vonnegut. I love him. He is a genius.

    Oh, and our half-Asian, half-white kids should play together. I was in the kids section of the bookstore the other day and I scanned a book called What Are You?, a book for mixed-race kids, and Period, a book on *duh* periods. I'm glad that kids have these great choices.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Lolita! I never finished reading it that summer-- made it to where they were on the lam and then you had to return it. I ought to finish it sometime. Also I read 100 Years of Solitude, your copy, when I was out there. I swear I didn't take or lose it. Scout's honor.

    ReplyDelete