What are you?


There is a mysterious vegetable in my refrigerator. It is green with curly leaves and it kind of looks like a spiky version of lettuce. I've poked at it and even tried a bite of it, but I can't figure out what it is.

It all started last week when I went to the grocery store for some arugula. I have never seen an arugula before, but I needed it for a recipe I was trying out. I walked around the produce aisle for awhile, trying to figure out what was an arugula and what wasn't, and then I finally found it. Well, at least I found the sign for it. So I picked up this weird spiky-looking vegetable---and I really doubted that this was arugula since I've heard that arugula kind of resembles spinach leaves---but I wasn't one to debate a produce-section sign.

So I took this foreign vegetable home and then I decided it just can't be arugula because it looked nothing like the picture of the recipe that I was trying to make. But I also don't have the heart to throw away this strange pointy lettuce because I don't like wasting food. Yet I don't really want to eat it either.

And so, the vegetable sits in my refrigerator and I've deduced it must be some strange alien from the next galaxy over that is trying to takeover the world by masking itself as arugula. But I've outsmarted this evil alien vegetable and it will be forced to re-think its plans as it freezes slowly in my crisper bin.


(I think it might be kale...)